Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Practicing with textures

I recently paid $39 for a set of Photoshop actions and textures designed to give pictures a vintage look. I wouldn't say I got ripped off, exactly; its creator had no malice of intent and for someone less familiar with Photoshop, the set would be a big help. But I've been using the program for 10 years; I ran the set and thought, "That's it? I paid forty bucks for that?" I guess I expected something more advanced, something beyond my grasp. But it's not.

So I decided to practice creating my own. I made an action for a curves adjustment that gives a retro, cross-processed look (ish), then I warmed up the color and lowered the contrast on a photo of snow and gravel to use as my overlay texture. Obviously I need to keep practicing; I don't think anybody would pay money to learn my secret formula. But it's a start! :-)


Original photo (SOOC)
Nikon D70; 85mm prime lens; 1/800s at f/4.5; ISO 200


Photoshopped version
Curves and saturation adjustment layers; original texture added; texture masked out and lightened around the face


~RCH~

No comments:

Post a Comment