Friday, December 18, 2009

Not a photo, but a question

I read 10 Reasons to Turn Off Your Autofocus from Digital Photography School this morning. I agree with the points, and have had some of the missed shots the article warns against because I have used autofocus.

BUT.

I have crappy vision. Even with contacts, I don't see 20/20, and the viewfinder of my camera is very small. I love photos -- portraits, especially -- with super shallow depth of field, where the eyes are sharp as a tack and everything else dissolves into buttery lovliness. I've got a great lens for it, my 85mm f/1.8. But how can I be sure I'm manually focusing well enough when my own eyes don't know how to focus?

Is there a solution? Or do I just need to suck it up and count on some of my AF shots and many/most of my manually focused shots to fail?

Hmmmm.


~RCH~

2 comments:

  1. Dude, it's been 6 months since I posted here. How embarrassing. I suck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeah, i think those were all good reasons to turn it off, but i'm with you: i have crappy vision, and view finder is small too... so, i don't think it is always feasable to turn off the AF.

    and yes, you need to post on here more! :D

    ReplyDelete