Saturday, May 2, 2009

Return to Swan Lake

I went back to Swan Lake yesterday because the fields and hills and mountains are finally greening up and I wanted to see if I could get a better panoramic shot. I don't know yet whether or not I did; it's a big process stitching together all those individual photos -- even with the automation magic that is Photoshop -- and I haven't started on it yet.

I did, however, get a few other photos that I like! My favorite one is this, taken from the Geological Marker (noting that the whole area used to be submerged under Lake Bonneville) looking at US 91 (the straight road) and Old Oxford Highway (the road curving off to the right).

Diversion

After snapping that, we continued to Swan Lake, drove up the very steep hill (I always worry that the van is going to tip over backwards!) to the tiny cemetery and took the pictures of the valley that I came for, as well as some of the cows whose field abuts the cemetery:

Single File, Ladies

Uno and Dos stood at our side of the flimsy barbed wire fence mooing at them, at which the cows lined up shoulder to shoulder, single file, and began marching slowly toward the girls. I don't know if they were bored and curious or angry and preparing to charge, lol, but I told the girls they probably ought to leave them alone.

I couldn't resist the call of that turn off pictured above, so on the way home I pulled off onto the Old Oxford Highway. I didn't stay long, but I have a feeling I'll be going back. Look what I found, all easily accessible and not surrounded by barbed wire or fencing of any kind (as old places usually are):

DSC_5607a

Fun, fun! Though after encountering a snake -- a possibly dead one, but still -- in Swan Lake, I do feel a little wary of just barging in. When I go back I will wear jeans tucked into sturdy boots! Or something. And carry a shovel, which DH says is a good self defense tool against snakes. We'll see.


~RCH~

No comments:

Post a Comment